Concrete Motorway Barriers FAQs
Are Concrete Barriers Suitable for Any UK Motorway Network?
They are indeed. Problock supplies temporary or longer-term concrete barriers to local authorities and emergency services throughout the UK.
These blocks are specifically designed to protect against significant weights, and therefore are a critical asset in safeguarding workforces, emergency shelter areas and laybys on motorway networks.
How Quickly Can Problock Deliver Motorway Concrete Barriers?
Problock provides concrete motorway barriers to clients and organisations nationwide and offers an expedited rapid response service where a fast safety solution is required.
For urgent barrier construction, please contact the Problock team for assistance with organising an expedited delivery to ensure you have adequate protection in place.
What Types of Concrete Barriers are Best Suited to Motorway Safety?
Problock supplies three main categories of concrete motorway barriers – and the right option for your project will rely on your risk assessment and the critical job that your barrier is being erected to perform.
- Jersey barriers are among the most popular concrete motorway barrier blocks and come in a weight of 1,450 kg each.
- TVCBs (temporary vertical concrete barriers) are ideal for more robust vehicle routes, being larger and heavier than a Jersey barrier block. Each TVCB weighs in at 2,500 kg.
- Interlocking concrete Lego blocks come in three different weight categories and can be used to create impassable defences, with each block slotting in alongside the next.
How Can Concrete Barriers Be Used to Manage Traffic?
There are several ways that we can employ concrete barriers to manage traffic. Motorway safety is just one application, and other uses include:
- Creating safety perimeters to prevent vehicles from accessing high risk or restricted access areas.
- Blocking off entrances and exits that are not in use.
- Constructing traffic guidance for events or temporary parking areas, including marking out parking bays.
- As a security measure on vulnerable properties to ensure unauthorised vehicles cannot gain access to the site.
What Risks Do Concrete Barrier Protect Against On Motorways?
Motorway barriers prevent collisions from becoming more dangerous to life and protect people and other vehicles travelling nearby.
They are also used to block access to roadways reserved for emergency services, stop vehicles from drifting across lanes into oncoming traffic, and protect workforces employed on construction or highway repair projects near high-speed traffic routes.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire Concrete Motorway Barriers?
The costs of hiring concrete motorway barriers depend very much on which sort of concrete blocks are required, how many, and for how long.
Problock is always available to provide a quotation based on your requirements.
Why Are Concrete Barriers Used on Motorway Roadworks?
Concrete barriers are interlocked, creating a barrier shield of substantial weight. These barriers can withstand impacts, even from large HGV trucks and high-speed vehicle crashes.
There are multiple benefits to using concrete barriers:
- Protecting workers, pedestrians and other road users from the risk of a high-speed traffic impact when working or travelling in an area adjacent to the roadway.
- Preventing dangerous crashes by delineating between lanes with opposite directions of travel and safeguarding against head-on impacts.
Safeguarding cars from sliding into rivers or down embankments in the event of a collision.
- Blocking the edges of raised carriageways or bridges to ensure that vehicles in icy conditions, following a crash, or where brakes fail cannot be put at greater risk by the surrounding environment.